Brakes?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brakes?
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 7 Apr 00 14:57:50 EDT
I have an intermittent problem -- occasionally, one of the front discs on
my '70 MGB will drag.  Sometimes left, sometimes right, once both.  Last
fall, I bled the brakes & thought I had it licked -- 3 or 4 k  miles
later, it was back.  It seems to happen more often at one particular spot
on my commute -- going down a fairly steep hill, just before I get to
work.  (I know, I could just avoid work ;-)

I have the teflon/stainless steel flex lines, 2-year-old white post-ed
calipers, and a 5 or 6 year old rebuilt/resleeved M/C.  2 or 3 year old
discs, v8 pads about a year old.  No puddles, levels stay where they
should be.  Castrol DOT4.

Any thoughts?  I would say "look at those flex hoses, maybe they're
swelling (etc.)" but it's my impression that the teflon ones are pretty
tough.  If it were one side, always, I would look at that caliper.  But
with the problem going from side to side, I'm afraid of the M/C.

I remember it as a real pain to get out, tight little space, etc.  Also,
the last time I did it, I rebuilt the original cyl. -- no good, tricky
devil.  Then, I bought a rebuilt piece, which leaked all over my shoes
after about a day.  I had to return it, and get another rebuilt M/C.
Which is currently in the car.

On the other hand, it might be an excuse to clean out and repaint that
corner of the engine bay...

What does anybody think about this one?
Thanks to all,
Matt