Re: MGA Shift Lever(Part II)

To: Michael Ohleger <movlas2@gte.net>
Subject: Re: MGA Shift Lever(Part II)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 15:47:38 -0500
At 03:13 PM 4/7/2000 -0400, Michael Ohleger wrote:
>.... I had no trouble removing the retaining ring, retentention spring and
cover. .... I have found that the shift lever doesn't pull straight out as
you stated. ....

Okay, so I just went and took another one apart just to be sure, and sure
enough, this one didn't pull out, just as you stated.  With this one the
slots in the sides of the hemisphere do not go all the way through to the
bottom, but dead end a little below the tips of the indexing pins.  The
solution is to use a flat point screwdriver that is narrow enough to fit
into the slot, put the tip in the slot between the bottom of the slot and
the end of the pin, and tap down with a hammer to wedge the pin outwards a
small amount in the casting.  Repeat the procedure for each side, and the
lever will easily pull out the top.

You do not have to push the pins all the way back flush with the casting,
only about half the depth of the slot in the ball will do, because the
width of the ball is less at the bottom end of the slots.  Maybe this is
why mine would always come out freely the first time.  In some past life I
may have figured this out and intentionally left the indexing pins pressed
only half way into the slots.  Works for me, 150,000 miles later and
nothing there has worn out (yet).

Regards,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude (and a lot of little tricks)
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg