Re: Stripping doors of 71GT

To: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stripping doors of 71GT
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 16:32:53 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Garner, Joseph P. <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 08, 2000 8:40 PM

> The left indicator light is dim and slow to flash. this is hardly
noticeable
> in the day, but at night it is much worse. The front left parking light is
> also dimmer than the right. I notice that these two have the same ground
> lead in the wiring diagram. Could the problem be as simple as a poor
ground
> connection here?

Sounds like a good bet.  If you turn both on, and either the turn signals
don't flash at all, or if the parking light dims and brightens in sympathy,
then it is (almost) guaranteed.

> Also, what would you reccommend for a just-bought-a-car-service. a 3000
mile
> service might be overkill seeing as it was so well mantained by the
previous
> owner, but i'm tempted to go this route.

As a lurker you must have come across the term 'DPO' (dreaded or dumb
previous owner).  Unless you *know* that the previous owners was competent
and *know* when it was last serviced, a full service and comprehensive check
of brakes, steering, fluids, ignition, carbs is called for.  It will be a
valuable learning experience, give you confidence that the car is safe to
use, and hopefully avoid breakdowns and loss of confidence.  Don't forget
the car is over 20 years old and can have suffered an awful lot of 'lack of
attention' if not outright abuse in that time.

Enjoy working on the car and getting to know it as well as driving it.

PaulH.