Re: Shroud Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shroud Question
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 18:58:16 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-12586-2439

I am grateful for the help and opinions of all regarding this question.
Thanks.

My original question, I agree,  casts into doubt the overall health of
my cooling system and suggests as well possible need for maintenance.

When my thermostat is running in "regulating" mode my temp gauge needle
is perhaps an eighth of an inch to the left of the "N".  As it becomes
necessary for the system to dissipate more heat the thermostat will
depart from "regulating" mode,  remaining fully open,  and the coolant
temperature will rise.  It would be unusual for my temperature gauge to
indicate as much as an eighth inch to the right of the "N", although it
can and does easily _reach_ the "N".

My original question was prompted by a personal desire more often (i.e.,
over a broader range of running conditions) to operate the cooling
system with the thermostat in "regulating" mode.  I am respectful others
might believe this to be unnecessary, or not a legitimate concern.  My
own gut feel (no more) is such operation is better for the health and
life of the engine overall, the head, etc..

A way, or at least a first step, to keep the cooling system in
"regulating" mode (or so I thought and hoped) would be to mount a
shroud, should such an item be available.

I agree wholeheartedly there are alternatives to a shroud which will
accomplish the same goal.  It just seemed to me a correctly designed
shroud might be a simple, easy to employ, and effective help.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250