Re: Shroud Question

To: "Bruce Burrows" <bburrows@webtv.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shroud Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 08:45:02 +0100
I would expect your thermostat to still be in 'regulating' mode even when
the needle is slightly above N, since the thermostat is not a precise
instrument but has an element of hysteresis (e.g. a slightly higher opening
temp than closing temp).  You can ususally see the effect of this when
warming up - it cycles up and down slightly about the N as cold coolant is
switched on and off by the thermostat until the whole system has reached a
similar temperature.  How much it cycles varies from installation to
installation, and if you have a V8 with a blocked steam pipe the temp gauge
has been known to go right round to 60psi on the oil part of the dual gauge!

PaulH.