Maybe carb problem is not?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Maybe carb problem is not?
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:36:00 -0400
Hi all,
  Perhaps Sherlock is beginning to put together the relevant clues.

Background: replaced SZ carb with SU HIF's. Started right up after
preliminaries but
Symptom:   backfires under load, does not in neutral.

Yesterday, 2 independent people suggested that maybe it was the coil, not
the timing or carb settings directly. One of the folks was Larry Macy's new
friend to the list; the other was a motorcycle mechanic who is a physical
plant guy on campus.

Then I related to the motorcycle mechanic that my timing light was firing
really erratically and the motorcycle mechanic said that confirmed the
diagnosis. [In my naivite', I took the light apart to see what was wrong
with it. Couldn't find anything obvious.]

      Does this make sense to you all (in the South of everywhere)?  As far
as it goes, it makes sense to me.

Is it a rule that if one works around one area, another problem pops up and
not necessarily in the same system??

Bill
76B