Re: First trip shakedown... little bits of advice please

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First trip shakedown... little bits of advice please
From: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 10:06:28 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Garner, Joseph P. <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
To: MG list (E-mail) <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: April 18, 2000 4:09 AM

which leads me to my first question.  There are (and were) a
couple
> of gravel chips in the paintwork which i would like to cover up
before they
> can lead to any rust.

*******Try automotive distributors for closest match with  touch
up paint. My friend uses and recommends a buffing/polishing system
called........... Personally I have never seen this carried off
perfectly. If the metal is not exposed don't worry about the rust
forming.

> So having put enough miles on the clock to guestimate MPG, i
seem to be
> getting something in the (Very) low twentys... the mechanic who
serviced the
> car last week said that the vacuum advance had been disabled and
the timing
> put forward 10 degrees to compensate. other than correcting this
is there
> something else i should be looking for?

*******Everything else (assuming valve timing , tire pressure &
wheel alignment are on, brakes not dragging) - on a quickie basis
make the distributor stock, adjust and check that the advance
functions, then look for vac leaks, top up dashpot oil, adjust
carbs - on a serious basis check compression, valve clearances,
adjust timing , carb adjust or carb overhaul and adjust- all in
that order.

> Also in checking the car over after the trip i noticed a loose
wire behind
> the dash (well to be exact behind the radio) which is right near
the buzzer
> and is purple/green, which makes it the line to the door warning
switch. I
> don't like the idea of a loose wire floating around much so i'm
planning to
> take the panel off this weekend and reconnect it (or tape it
up). Does
> anyone have any idea as to why someone might have intentionally
disconnected
> this wire?

**********According to DPO's, functioning door warning switches
reduce your top speed. Remove the panel only if you have a severe
horizontalness phobia and can't lie on your back.

> Finally I noticed that the car was sitting about 1/4 to 1/2 and
inch lower
> on one side at the front, and got underneath to check out the
front
> suspension. Sure enough the side sitting low seems to have a
much older
> hydraulic unit than the side sitting higher. The mechanic who
serviced the
> car remarked on this (the guy who checked it out missed it). Is
this a
> serious problem?  I certainly haven't noticed any problems in
handling or
> braking. It would seem wise to replace both units at the same
time (as one
> would do with springs) but i'm not exactly rolling in cash right
now.

********Usually not a serious safety problem in itself, but
aesthetics suck - here's your beautiful LBC going down the road
crooked. The wind is blowing in your hair and you are whistling
Dixie - meanwhile the guy behind you, in the Ford Focus, is saying
to his bride "honey look at that; no wonder the DMV is forcing
these old shitboxes off the road. He could use a heavy chick in
the passenger seat, but then that would really reduce his top
speed and increase his gas mileage".

Anyways, betcha it's the drivers side sagging. What it must look
like with you in it. Swap springs left to right - not a big job.

Mike L.
60 MGA
59 Bug
67 E