Re: Running without a thermostat

To: <eric@erickson.on.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Running without a thermostat
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 09:52:27 +0100
It is said that running without a themostat results in a very rapid flow of
water through the engine.  This can cause turbulence rather than a smooth
flow of coolant that can result in localised hot-spots i.e. the opposite
effect.  If the engine overall does not get up to normal working temperature
it is inefficient and you can get oil sludging and is as detrimental as
running an engine on very short journeys.  If you don't use a thermostat you
should use a blanking sleeve to offer the same resistance as an open
thermostat.

Try the cooler (74C 165F) thermostat if you don't already have it.

PaulH.