Re: Dynamo / Generator Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dynamo / Generator Question
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Bruce Burrows)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:34:05 -0400 (EDT)
--WebTV-Mail-27804-308

An interesting dilemma, Tony, which I would guess is unrelated to your
positive ground (However, I very much support your decision to have
permitted the car to remain as the works built it - hence I am biased on
this one).

You say that at idle you have circa 13+ volts across the battery.  This
gives rise to my questions:

1.  At idle, with radio on, how many volts do you have at the radio?

2.  At running speeds, with radio on, how many volts do you have at the
radio?

If there is a significant voltage delta between the answers to 1. and 2.
above, it could be the reason for your problem.  If not I am at a loss
to explain what is happening.

I agree with your thinking the radio should produce adequate volume with
13 volts on the power leads.  However, that is not to say it will not
become louder still at even higher voltage.

Bruce Burrows

'59 MGA basket case
'60 Daimler SP 250
'61 Daimler SP 250