Re: Dynamo / Generator Question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dynamo / Generator Question
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 11:47:02 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/00 8:57:08 PM !!!First Boot!!!, dcouncil@imt.net
writes:

> At 01:34 PM 4/19/2000 -0400, Tony Woodruff wrote:
>
>  >My 67 (actually mid-66) MGB roadster has the stock positive ground /
>  >dynamo set up.
>  >
>  >Is it normal that at idle my radio, etc. should be "starving" for
>  >electricity - or is this a sign of a failing unit?  The radio gets really
>  >quiet and won't pull in a signal at all unless the engine revs are up
>  >around 2000 RPM.
>  >
>  >At speed the battery is getting plenty of current to keep itself charged
>  >up.  At idle I see 13-14 volts across the terminals - so it looks OK from
>  >that perspective.
>  >
>  >The thing is that at the times I'm waiting at a stop light - and not
>  >enjoying the thrill of moving about in my LBC - the darn radio won't
>  >work!  (of course it doesn't work very well ever.....)

The company I work for manufactures car radios and we have always designed
them to work over a range of 10.5 to 16 volts. If your car is starting and
running, there must be enough voltage at the battery to run the radio. I
suspect your radio has a poor ground connection or an inproper voltage drop
on the V+ line somewhere between the radio and the battery. Try measuring the
supply voltage right at the radio.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336