clicking/ticking valve noise is now gone

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: clicking/ticking valve noise is now gone
From: Pointparty@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:15:07 EDT
Several weeks ago I posted here a request for advice to solve the
clicking/ticking coming from one valve area, (#3) even after proper
adjustment on the '71B GT.

( I could get it quiet but would require severely changing the gap which I
think wears out valves.  The noise was not really that bad but did annoy, and
the car is otherwise more than acceptable.)

Thanks to all of you who responded with opinions and solutions!

Long story short, Looking for the the best reasonable solution I ordered a
"new" rocker arm assembly from Proper MG for $130 plus freight.  It came in
perfect with new bushings and resurfaced rocker arm bottoms.  The shaft,
spacer springs, little washer things and locknuts were all new.

The assembly removed from the engine with almost 100K miles showed some wear
in the suspect area on the shaft and rocker arm bottom and some slight side
to side play,  and moderate to light wear in other places.  Again none of
this was really ugly and the noise I wanted to eliminate was not overpowering.

At this point I crossed my fingers and hoped this would solve my problem and
I could avoid removing lots of parts under the hood(bonnet) replacing the cam
and all that other crap associated with it.

I took the whole thing to my great MG repair guru who has an insured shop and
the right tools, knows what he is doing and guarantees his work.  In a short
time while I hung out, he  installed the new assembly properly greasing it
beforehand, setting all the valve adjustments to .015 cool.  The engine
sounded just like it did when it was new.  He  torqued it down and buttoned
it up.  No left over parts, no downtime. Labor charge $100.  Yeah, I could do
it myself, but when?  And I really don't know for sure what I am looking at
or if I'm doing it correctly.

My car is a perfect, dependable clean driver once more.  THE CLICKING TICKING
VALVE NOISE IS GONE.  See ya at the beach.  Happy Passover and Happy Easter!