Re: (Paul) Shroud Question

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: (Paul) Shroud Question
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:32:54 +0100
It's the thermostat that sets the 'stable' temperature, and you certainly
won't get 187 degrees with a 165 degree stat *as long as* the radiator can
dissipate at least as much heat as the engine is generating.  Under these
conditions  *any* thermostat, within reason, will be partially open and
maintaining *its* given temperature.  Neither will a lower (or higher)
ambient, within reason, give a different water temperature with a given
tat  - the whole point of the stat is to *maintain* a temperature after all.
Three different thermostats will *always* result in three different temp
gauge readings under normal operating conditions.  The only time any
thermostat is wide open is when the engine is generating more heat than the
radiator can dissipate, i.e. slogging up a steep hill on a hot day, and you
will see that as the temp gauge needle being above its 'normal' point,
whatever that may be.

Stats aren't just open or shut.  There is a temperature at which they start
to open, and a higher temperature at which they are fully open.  And the
only time they cycle open and shut is when the engine is in the process of
warming up, and you can see this on the temp gauge.  Also they have
hysteresis which means that they will be open more at a given temperature
point when the temperature of the water is dropping than when it is rising
(just like the electric cooling fan stat turns off the fan at a lower
temperature than it turns it on).  You can see the effect of this on the
temp gauge by slogging up a hill at a given speed, then cruising down at the
same speed on the overrun in the same gear.  The radiator is getting the
same amount of cooling but the engine is producing more heat going up than
down, and the temp gauge will be higher than normal going up and lower than
normal going down.

Have you ever wondered why the temp gauge goes up after you have switched
off?  And goes up more on a hot day than a cool day even though prior to
switch-off the temp gauge reads pretty much the same?  This is the effect of
the higher temperature in the combustion chambers than the water jacket
while the water is circulating - the temperature gradient - and it is higher
on a hot day because the engine is getting less auxiliary cooling via its
external surfaces due to the higher ambient.  As soon as the water pump
stops the coolant nearest the combustion chambers heats up, and
thermo-syphonic action distributes this around the top of the engine and
hence the temp gauge sensor.

The cooler stat is intended to be used it hotter ambient conditions (i.e.
the use of the heater would probably be inappropriate) so that as long as
the radiatior is still capable of dissipating the heat the engine is
generating, the coolant temperature will be lower than if a normal stat were
used in order to maintain the internal temperatures of the engine closer to
normal.

IMHO

PaulH.