Re: [RAVE] Bonnet Bashing Blues

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [RAVE] Bonnet Bashing Blues
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:29:15 +0000
Bruce Burrows wrote:

> I have personally benefitted from hearing your story.  Certainly no
> apology is needed or appropriate.  You are helping us!
>
> I am sorry to learn of your difficulty.  I hope the matter can be
> resolved to your satisfaction, and soon.
>
> If it is not too much to ask, please confirm your bonnet is
> aluminium. This would explain why it was vulnerable at such slow
> speed.  I do not think my steel bonnet would take off at 10 mph -
> too heavy.  However, I have not tested this hypothesis.  I also have
> no plans at present to run this test <G>.

Bruce,

Having analysed the situation after the fact (yes, I have gone over it
in my head MANY times by now), I think that I must have been going a bit
faster than 10MPH when she went up.  I really wasn't looking at the
speedo at the time.

As has been mentioned to me, the fact that she ripped one of the hinges
off indicates that I was probably going fast that walking speed!

Yes, it IS an aluminium bonnet... hence the ease of lift-off.  Remember,
I am the one who has told of a gust of wind standing this same bonnet
back against the windscreen with the car stationary.  I want another one
the same because the extra amount of weight of the steel bonnet would
strip a second or so of my track times.

You are now looking at a person who is thinking of over-reacting enough
to put a couple of holes in the bonnet for a couple of those ugly
pin-type lockdowns... urrrk!

Thanks,

Eric