Re: In search of Better Brakes...

To: "MG List" <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: In search of Better Brakes...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:18:06 -0700
Hmmm, I would think it would be more correct to say that the servo gives
you less pedal effort for the equivalent stopping power. The addition of
the servo would not shorten your stopping distances unless you had been
physically unable to depress the pedal hard enough to achieve maximum
stopping power (just short of lockup). Or look at it this way: if you can
lock up your brakes without a servo, you can apply more than enough force
to achieve the shortest possible stopping distance. And let's not get
into that ABS discussion...

On the other hand, you may find the feel of servo-assisted brakes more
consistent with your '90s vehicles, so it may be just what you're looking
for.

Michael P. Ohleger had this to say:

>Tab,
>
>I added a servo assist to my 67.  Had great results.  All the other stuff
>is ok
>albeit extra $$$$ and I don't think it will stop you any faster unless you
>add
>the assist.  The servo gave me greater stopping power and was the closest
>thing
>to power brakes I could find.  Cheers

BTW The servo IS "power brakes" in the generally accepted sense of the
term.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149