Timing guide for newbie

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Timing guide for newbie
From: Rick Wagner <wagner@fuse.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 15:56:32 -0400 (EDT)
Ok....
I have been doing my homework and reading. Based on the initial post that
was done for me on my 71B running suggish (not really running) in gear I
was told verify the timing the valves etc.

So I have the Timing Light, I understand how to use it, and I am ready to
fire it up and go at it except, In the Bently book and the Hayes it talks
about removing the vacuum hose. At the site www.mgcars.org.uk in the
archive people talk about removing the vacuum hose and plugging the hole.

My question is: Do I need to remove the small cable that runs from the
Vacuum Unit on the 25D to the other side of the engine to the manifold?
and if so What is recommended to use to plug the hole? OR am I totally
wrong and need to disconnect something else?

Please reply ASAP

Thanks

-Rick
71 MGB