Re: Westminster MG Museum

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Westminster MG Museum
From: Alan Claffie <aclaffie@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 06:47:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- MGRagtop@aol.com wrote:

> I have been to the Fall Fraternity Tour twice, MG-less both times.
> Both days were those incredible crisp,nice fall days. I really wanted

> to go last fall's event, I remember the weather was really lousy,
> keeping me away, There's always next year, or so I thought... I
> wonder if there is a way to keep the Fall Fraternity Tour going, even

> if it isn't at Westminster. There must be another suitable location
> nearby that would be willing to host it, possibly the Yankee Candle
> Car Museum located nearby in South Deerfield, Mass?

I've been to the Fraternity Tour a few times, a couple with my derelict
MGB (even entered it in the show to demonstrate how hope springs
eternal). Once I took my dad's red '76 Spitfire on a frigid day and
took 3rd best Spit.

Last time I went there my oil pump konked out on the ride home and I
got to spend another quality winter rebuilding the engine. I think
that's why I haven't been back in the last 3-4 years.

The Yankee Candle museum would be a super location for me since I'm
only an hour drive's away, but I don't think it would have the same
out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere clubby feel, probably because I can't
recall if there's any patches of grass big enough to hold the show on,
and I really like car shows held on grass (British on the Green in CT,
and the Hillcrest Hospital annual show in Pittsfield MA).

To digress a bit, my favorite part of the Westminster museum wasn't the
cars on display, but going back into the shop seeing all kinds of cars
in various states of dismantledness. Sometimes they'd put a piece of
paper on the projects to help identify them, but there were still a
couple "whattheheckISthatthing?" lurking.

--
Claff
Derelict '71 B Roadster