Re: Alternator Woes

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Alternator Woes
From: Chris Kotting <ckotting@iwaynet.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 07:41:59 -0400
Steve -

I'm going to assume that you mean a 11.8v potential between Positive and
Ground.  A 1977 MGB is Negative Ground, so the voltage potential between
negative and ground should be zero.

If one of the diodes in the "diode pack" or the protection diode goes
bad, the alternator would have a short to ground, but would still make
power when the car was running.  The diodes are available seperately, so
if you're a little adventurous, you can replace just shose parts, rather
than getting a rebuilt alternator.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net