Re: Fw: Alternator Woes

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>, <economu@whidbey.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Alternator Woes
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 20:06:36 +0100
An ammeter displays amps and a voltmeter displays volts but they both work
the same way - by driving a current through the moving coil of an analogue
instrument, it is just in how they derive that current that they differ.
Using a voltmeter in place of a ground strap to measure leakage current is a
very effective way of detecting leakages smaller than a test-lamp would
reveal, and far safer for the instrument than by using one on an amp scale
only to find that the leak is far bigger than you thought and wrapping the
needle round the end-stop.  The voltmeter will never read more than 12v no
matter how big the drain, and if it reads less than 12v it tells you that
the drain is small but nevertheless still there (like the surface leakage on
my batteries).  It's just lateral thinking.

PaulH.