Was Alternator Woes is Battery discussion.

To: <REwald9535@aol.com>
Subject: Was Alternator Woes is Battery discussion.
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:57:40 -0700
Dear Rick:
I just love the condescending tone of a teacher!!

We are talking here about current flow. And voltage drop. They are related.
In all but super conductors, when current flows there is a corresponding
voltage drop. This is what the discussion is about. The light bulb is
analogous to the meter test because they both present a resistance to the
(in this case parasitic) load. In the case of the meter (remember we were
talking about a  d'arsonval movement here) will also show some movement even
though the meter is a higher resistance (but still not in the tens or
hundreds of megohms like modern meters are). So yes, in this case even a
VOLT meter can be used to measure current.

The original answer (by Paul?) did also discuss using the light bulb and I
also agree that since this is a lower resistance series element (on the
order of a few ohms) it will be a better test. I have conducted the DVM test
I mentioned on many cars also and found it to be helpful. You said yourself
that the last digit of your meter responded in your testing. This is the
one-tenth volt sensitivity I talked about. Since your test was in new cars
with new batteries, I would expect the voltage to be very "stiff", and not
move around much. My own MGBGT with 4 year old batteries drops 20mv when the
cables are connected, with a radio and ignition load (after the fuel pump
stops). But will start the engine quite quickly, so I know the batteries are
still good. So maybe not the absolute best test, but made more quickly that
the light bulb test because there are no disconnections necessary.

As far as your self discharge stats,  that's cool with me. There are lots of
variables with vented lead acid batteries such as age, manufacturer, time
stored before selling, temperature of operation, charging method and so
forth. So many variables even the texts on batteries don't all agree.  Your
numbers are  20  percent / (16 weeks  * 7 days ) = 0.18 % per day, which I
suspect is for a fairly new battery, in moderate temperature. For an older
battery it will be closer to my number of 0.5% per day. For a really old
battery or one in hot climates, it can be much worse. I have read reports of
1% per day self discharge rates for certain lead chemistries.

I have spent many hours in the U. of Wash engineering library studying
batteries, and I would be glad to get you references (off the list of
course) if you would like. I also have designed electronics equipment for
the past 20 years. Even designed battery chargers for the past 8 years,
including one battery charger product that has sold over 100K copies since
1995. (Yes they work for liquid, Gel, AGM and Nicads).

Now...back to the discussion about electric MGAs...
Can I convert my MGBGT and join the 90 days around the world bunch??
How many cats can I take??

Tim Economu <smiling>
Mona '69 MGBGT