Re: Aston [sic] Mini

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>, "Robert Sexson" <rsexson@excite.com>,
Subject: Re: Aston [sic] Mini
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 19:49:01 +0100
No 'sort of' in production about it.  It's in full flow (well, as much flow
as a 40 year old classic can generate) at the moment although ceases
production in a few months time as it is no longer able to meet EC
regulations.  It originally started as two models - the Austin Seven and the
Morris Mini Minor before becoming just 'Mini'.  It spawned a significant
number of derivatives like the luxury Wolseley Hornet and Riley Elf, the
minimalist Mini Moke, vans (my first 4-wheeler), pick-ups, plus performance
Cooper and Cooper 'S' versions which would have won the Monte Carlo Rally
en-masse five times running if they had not been disqualified on a
technicality (by the French) in the third or fourth year.  Star of the
ultra-classic 'The Italian Job'.  In the early 70s a chap called Greenaway
or Greenwood raced one very successfully in a motorbike and sidecar class -
it was within class rules because it had a pair of close-coupled wheels at
the rear rather than the standard rear sub-frame.  The driver and passenger
sat in the normal front seats, and while most sidecar occupants have a very
perilous existence this chap could just sit there and enjoy the ride owing
to the stupendous roadholding and cornering ability.  So stupendous that
they had to start from the back of the grid but usually won.  The Mini was
not actively marketed for many years and a lot of people thought it was no
longer available.  Discovering that it was spawned a bit of a boom in sales
and a flood of special editions in the past few years.  A cult in Japan.

PaulH.