Re: Reference Books

To: "Lundy, John D." <JOHN.D.LUNDY@saic.com>
Subject: Re: Reference Books
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2000 18:32:58 -0400
"Lundy, John D." wrote:
> I'm new to MG ownership - finally a long time dream comes true!
> I am now the proud owner of a little yellow '79 MG Midget.

  Congrats. RB midgets are totally lovable little cars. I put more
miles on my Midget than my other british cars put together.

> Haynes Repair Manual (already here)

  Useful, but not the best for the later cars.

> Owner's Manual Reprint (coming)

  Fun and cheap, not terribly useful but cheap.

> Factory Workshop Manual Reprint (coming $45 - ouch)

  Essential. It's so much more detailed than the Haynes,
especially concerning the later cars like ours.

> Lucas Fault Diagnosis Manual (coming)

  Don't have this one. Let us all know!

> My Question - Any (been there done that) recommendations on the following??
>
> Guide to Purchase & DIY Restoration (Lindsay Porter) - $36 (ouch)

  Good book, but only really essential if you are doing major
body work. Shows typical procedures encountered when replacing
most panels on the car. It also talks about mechanical work
and is a good read, but the factory manual has the same information
just with cleaner parts in the pictures. ;>

> Step By Step Guide to MG Midget Service - $37 (ouch)

  You don't really need this if you are diligent. I have it
and it's a good book to have if you are a light-duty mechanic
and want to do your own maintenance, but aren't too brave. It
doesn't show you how to fix any real problems, but has very
detailed instructions on when to grease where, where to check
the oil, etc.

> MGB & Midget Restoration (Jim Tyler) - $44 (extra ouch)

  Same as Porter's book, IMHO.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca