VIBRATION !!!!!!!!!!!!

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: VIBRATION !!!!!!!!!!!!
From: "alaskabob2" <alaskabob2@freewwweb.com>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 22:19:20 -0700
Well here is the latest on my vibration problem....
    thanks to those who took the time to reply with suggestions.
I pulled the engine on Sunday,(put it in & got it running sun too) to fix a
oil leak. The clutch plate was soaked with oil & slipping too.
I found that whom ever rebuilt this engine didn't put a gasket in between
the end pate & the engine block. They only used goop. I figured by the time
the goop started wearing thin the two metal parts were touching, causing the
deafening vibration. also the pilot bearing fell out it was so loose. so I
put a new clutch in.(actually one from another engine I have). replaced the
crank seal,(I thought that was where the leak was), and I noticed the bottom
crank seal was half gone. I didn't expect this so I was missing a lot of
parts I should have replaced while I was in there.I used red high temp goop
to fill in the other half of the seal.coated both sides of the end plate
gasket & put it in, pressed in the pilot bearing,(should have replaced it
but didn't), coated it with lithium grease,(put the crystals in the gas
tank).
put it all back together. Now the only vibration I get is between 3000 &
3200 RPM. (It used to be from 3000 to 4000 .) & it seem to be normal MG
noise, not deafening. No more leaks !!
    HOWEVER - I'm still loosing a lot of oil. could it possibly be burning a
quart a day. doesn't seem to be smoking. could it be valve guides ?????