Re: VIBRATION !!!!!!!!!!!!

To: alaskabob2 <alaskabob2@freewwweb.com>
Subject: Re: VIBRATION !!!!!!!!!!!!
From: Geoffrey Gallaway <geoffeg@sloth.org>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 09:27:19 -0400 (EDT)
Please take this advice with a grain or two of salt. I'm not a
professional but I've learned these tricks over time and from others.

If indeed you are loosing a quart a day, some possible reasons are:

* Blown piston rings - Drain your oil into a large bucket or tray
*filtering* the oil as it flows through a fine wire screen or a pair of
pantyhose. Then, take the oil pan off, do the same to empty the oil out of
it. Check the screen/pantyhose for *any* small pieces.. A few (one or
two), small, tiny pieces of metal are generally ok, but numerous small or
one to numerous medium to large pieces of metal are bad. Make sure to
check the now-empty oil pan too!

* Check your compression on each cylnder, you can buy a gauge/tool at most
autopart's stores.

* Check each spark plug, if one is slightly more or less discolored or
different from the rest then this is a sign. I don't exactly what it's a
sign of, but it's definetly a sign.

* Check that all your spark plugs are tightened and tightened uniformly.
Also, check that your head has no gaps in the seal. I don't know the
specifics of tightening the head. It might require doing it very carefully
so you don't crack the head.

When I got my 70 BGT, it was pouring smoke. We took the engine apart,
there was a large gash in one of my piston walls and every piston's ring
was broken. I also had one unique piston for some reason. Engine was
rebuilt (AE pistons, aluminum head, new oil pump, etc), runs beautiful!

Geoff

--
Geoffrey Gallaway || What kills you makes me stronger.
geoffeg@sloth.org ||