Re: Is this vapor lock?

To: Steve Conley <swconley@foxinternet.net>
Subject: Re: Is this vapor lock?
From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 08:28:01 -0400
I don't think your description sounds like vapor lock: that malady will usually
cause the engine to shut off completely, including at idle. I would first
suspect a small piece of solid contamination (dirt or perhaps a piece of rice)
has found its way into the carburetor's float bowl.  When the engine is running,
the dirt is being moved around by the motion of the fuel until it is drawn into
and blocks the main jet, thus shutting off the fuel supply. The idle jet is
independent. The dirt settles to the bottom when the engine is off, and that is,
coincidentally, the perfect opportunity to remove the offending article.

Jim