New Iistmember - Contemplating '76 Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: New Iistmember - Contemplating '76 Midget
From: Wvcruffler@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 13:57:49 EDT
Howdy all,

New listmember from West Virginia USA

I have been eyeballing a 1976 MG midget that has been sitting in the ddep grass
of a local used car delaers lot.  Here's the story - dealer got it for his dad
1.5 years ago and pays $1,500 (yeah, right).  Repaints it, adds new top, adds
fluid to the clutch.  Dad gets in, and can't get out as he is quite fat.  The
car then sits.  Two rather large holes appear in the drivers, then passengers
floor.  The very front edges of the wheel wells begin to rust out.  The key
turn the ignition and the car will start and does not smoke, but all four tires
are flat.  The clutch pushed easily to the floor (I do suspect there will be a
problem there).  Front left headlight is broken and chrome is bent.  Overall,
it seems there will be much work to do.  I think I can get this for $500 or so
without much difficulty - possibly less.  My questions...
1.  As these little cars seem to be unit-body construction, can the floors
possibly be mended?  It this too far gone?
2.  Are trannys hard to come by for this supposing this one may have died?
3.  This is a 1976 model - are there any things that I should look for that
would increase / decrease the value as a collectible?

Thank you all in advance for any information or assistance you can lend.  I
think there is potential here, but I hate to do it if it is already too far
gone.
Philip C.