Re: New Iistmember - Contemplating '76 Midget

To: Wvcruffler@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Iistmember - Contemplating '76 Midget
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 15:12:20 EDT
In a message dated 5/18/00 2:01:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Wvcruffler@aol.com writes:

<< I have been eyeballing a 1976 MG midget that has been sitting in the ddep
grass of a local used car delaers lot.  Here's the story - dealer got it for
his dad 1.5 years ago and pays $1,500 (yeah, right).  Repaints it, adds new
top, adds fluid to the clutch.  Dad gets in, and can't get out as he is quite
fat.  The car then sits.  Two rather large holes appear in the drivers, then
passengers floor.  The very front edges of the wheel wells begin to rust out.
 The key turn the ignition and the car will start and does not smoke, but all
four tires are flat.  The clutch pushed easily to the floor (I do suspect
there will be a problem there).  Front left headlight is broken and chrome is
bent.  Overall, it seems there will be much work to do.  I think I can get
this for $500 or so without much difficulty - possibly less.  My questions...
 1.  As these little cars seem to be unit-body construction, can the floors
possibly be mended?  It this too far gone?
 2.  Are trannys hard to come by for this supposing this one may have died?
 3.  This is a 1976 model - are there any things that I should look for that
would increase / decrease the value as a collectible?    >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, first, welcome to the list!

It sounds like that car has been sitting a lot longer than 1 1/2 years!  More
like 10.  It may still be worth $500, but I would CERTAINLY offer him less to
start.  Obviously nobody else in your area wants it, and I'm sure he could
use a quick $250, just to be able to mow the grass.

Your questions,
1. ANYTHING can be fixed on a car.  You can cut out the rusted floor pans and
weld in new ones.  What you have to determine is the extent of the rest of
the rust.  It could be considerable.  At what point should you start looking
for a less rusty car?  All of the body panels are available from Moss Motors.
 Go to www.mossmotors.com and download a catalog.  Jack the car up, support
it WELL with stands (if it is on dirt, put a piece of wood under the stands),
and look at (or rather, poke at, with a screwdriver) the frame.  If the frame
rails look rusted thru, look for another car.

2. If the clutch pedal is soft, it doesn't mean the tranny is shot, but it
may need a clutch.  More likely, it just needs the clutch hydraulics rebuilt.
 Not a bad job and not very expensive.  You should plan on rebuilding all of
the hydraulics, brakes esp.  Tranny repairs aren't too bad either, but could
add $500 to your costs.

3. A rubber bumper Midget is really not the most desirable car for a
collector.  Look for a chrome bumper car.  But, a RB Midget is a fun car to
drive, and an easy car to own.  Parts are readily available and not very
expensive.

I bought my '77 Midget almost two years ago.  I paid $1600.  I replaced ALL
the brake parts, clutch master cyl., de-rusted and painted the wheels, 4 new
tires, new starter, new "We Tight" carpets from Pep Boys, and other odds and
ends.  All of that cost another $1000 - $1500 or so.  (I'm not an accountant
like some people who work for Polaroid! <BG>)  The car is a blast to drive!
(See mine at http://www.cyberconceptz.com/perry/drivers/1.jpg)

Good luck.  Keep posting your questions to the list.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport