Re: Figuring out the wires

To: "Geoffrey Gallaway" <geoffeg@sloth.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Figuring out the wires
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 19:45:47 +0100
When you pull the stalk back to flash the headlights you are using a
separate switch and power supply to the normal dip/main switch but the same
wiring to the lamps.  Because of this if the lamps are switched to dipped
beam when you pull on the stalk you (should) get all four filaments lit.
For this reason the headlamp flasher is best tested with the lights off.  If
only one of the headlamps goes to the high beam with the flasher than there
is a problem in the wiring from the LH lamp to the RH lamp, its bulb or bulb
holder.

If pushing the stalk forward for main beam (with the lights switched on)
means the dipped filaments go out on both lamps and the high filaments don't
light on either lamp then, seeing how at least one headlamp works with the
flasher, you also have a problem in the dip/main switch, could be dirty
contacts or broken/melted.

If neither headlamp works on main beam or headlamp flasher then you could
have any number of problems in switches, wiring, bulbs or connections.

PaulH.