Re: Water Pump - on its way out!

To: david@mcna.demon.co.uk, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Water Pump - on its way out!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:16:36 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/00 3:08:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
david@mcna.demon.co.uk writes:

<< I use my MG every day and cover 172 miles.  I just noticed a real small
 drip of coolant on the front cross member.  It is under the water pump
 and I guess the seal is leaking a little. There is no appreciable loss
 of coolant.
 The question is - should I stop using the car at once OR use with care
 and replace the pump with a new one at the weekend?  Is this likely to
 suddenly fail on me? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dr. Dave,

If you are sure it is from the seal, and it isn't getting any worse in a few
days time, it probably will last a bit longer.  I wouldn't procrastinate too
long though.  A new gasket, or silicone gasket gook will fix it without
having to replace the pump, if the pump bearing is still OK.  Just remove,
clean the surfaces, and replace with a new gasket.  (Isn't that easy!)

Make certain that the leak isn't coming from behind the pulley.  If it is,
the water pump bearing is shot and WILL fail at any moment.  BTDT!  Next
time, don't tighten the fan belt quite so much.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport