Re: Was Aluminum heads, now thread chaser

To: REwald9535@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was Aluminum heads, now thread chaser
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 10:22:43 EDT
In a message dated 5/23/00 10:05:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
REwald9535@aol.com writes:

<< I use a thread chaser made by K-D
 (available at auto parts store) When you get the plug removed run the thread
 chaser through the hole to clean the threads. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I borrowed a set of thread chasers when I was having trouble with the lug
nuts on my Mitsubishi.  It seems that all the anti-seize on the lugs was
CAUSING the threads to seize.  Probably because brake dust was getting caked
into the anti-seize compound.  I tried wire brushing the lugs and carb
cleaner in the capped lug nuts, but it doesn't help.

Thread chasers are like very dull taps and dies.  The ones I used were Snap
On.  You said that K-D also makes them?  I have looked for an inexpensive
set, but have had no luck.  Sears doesn't have them, nor does Harbor Freight.
 Maybe I'll try Advance Auto.

Thanks,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward