Replica?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replica?
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 13:55:55 -0700
Hmmm...

I know there are a lot of folks with Sebring GTs, a bloody lot
more than were built by the factory, and not all exact "replicas".

So?  Half a million MGBs.  Plenty to have some fun with.  I'd rather
see tons of not-so exact Sebring, Le Mans, Targa Floria "replicas"
than what you see when you walk down the MGA isle -- they're all
the same shade of red, and they all have the same black/red interior.
I remember reading that at the factory no two MGAs on the assembly
line where the same.  Couldn't guess that at the average Brit car
show.  (Hey A-ers! Nothing against red with black interior, the
cars are *stunning* that way!  Just seems that everyone likes red!)

One of my (many) MG dreams is to build a monstrousity -- start with
a custom tube frame.  A GT.  Mid engine, there are Hewland to Rover
V-8 adapters.  Big fuel injected Rover powerplant.  Modern GT prototype
look.  MGB steering rack and bolt pattern, with either mini-lites
or 4 spoke revolutions.  BRG.  Venturi tunnels and a wing.  And
probably "MG GT" on the back.  "OHMYGOD! What an evil man!"  It wouldn't
be an MG, would it?  Just like them fake Sebrings ain't real.

Well, let's see, if I've got MG tail lamps, wheels, engine, markings,
steering wheel...I've got a lot more "MG" than the Cooper-MG JOY500...
Hmmm, maybe this one would be a Wheeler-MG...

Oh well, I diverge.  Replica MGB GT Sebring.  Or Sebring Sprites,
both cars I adore.  My Bugeye project (way back burner) will have
discs off of a Midget, dual master cylinder, wire wheels, and some
engine tweeks.  Sounds a lot like the Sebrings...but then it's a
replica in spirit only.  Some of them exact to original bits are
bloody hard to find -- why do that for a car I want to blast around
in and have fun?  I'd much rather spend the money on entry fees.

I think I'm staying up too late again.

You folks have fun with your cars, and I promise a real "Rim of the
World" write up soon!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/
ClubRally MGB-GT #395
San Diego Region autocross MGB #159, RX-7 #259, MG Midget #359
...and half of the cars racing in Arkansas, it seems...