question on alternator

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: question on alternator
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 17:36:46 -0400 (EDT)
Went for a drive today with my significant other and just about at
maximum distance from home, I heard a whirring noise almost like a table
saw in the garage of a neighbor followed by the onset of the red
charging light on the dash. I figured the alternator had just fried.

Interesting, all lights worked except turn signals (at least of the
ones I checked). With judicious driving and a helluva good battery, we
made it home. Sure 'nuff, the alternator fried. Spindle doesn't move a
millimeter.

Now my question: is it worth rebuilding AND also is there an inexpensive
aftermarket PEP boy model alternator for a 76B that I could use until I
rebuild and
then store in the 'boot' for emergencies?

I'm also betting this is one of the types of questions that if you know
the answer, it is a trivial question and if one doesn't,such as I who has
never manually replaced an alternator, then it is a real question.

TIA with 'heartfelt' acknowledgment to the many years of knowledge
distributed throughout this list.

Bill
'76B
(contemplating another if the wife doesn't shoot me)

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."