wierdest starting problem solved, and carb hearsay

To: "MG list (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: wierdest starting problem solved, and carb hearsay
From: "Garner, Joseph P." <JPGarner@UCDavis.Edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 16:53:36 -0700
Hi everyone,

Thank you to everyone who offered advice over the weekend, and especially
Nina who offered to follow me all the way home!

In the end i left the car with my new firend branden the mechanic. One new
EI, rotor, cap, and coil later and the problem appears to be solved.
Certainly the car is running a lot smoother, and possibly even with a little
more power. $400 as well, all told, though... bugger. I guess this means
that i have to put off having the carb seen to till next month though...
double bugger.

* change subject

I have heard said that a weber carb improves reliability, serviceability,
and fuel economy. Bear in mind though that in california, you fail emissions
for non-stock components OR tuning. this means having to pull out the weber,
replace the entire stock carb, and emissions gear, and have it tuned to pass
smog once every two years, then, replace the weber re-tune the engine and
spend the intervening period running with an engine that is technically
ILLEGAL. It all sounds like way too much of a ball-ache. My plan is to stick
with my stock carb, have it professionally overhauled (a job beyond my
capabilities), have the engine tuned towards fuel-efficiency rather than
power (i.e. running lean). I'll save the $1000 plus that i could spend on a
weber, and keep my eye open for an overdrive. I guess this policy is
inspired because i do 90% of my driving on the freeway. If i spent lots of
time in stop-and-go traffic and cold starting, then maybe i would have a
different plan.

cheers

Joe.

_________________