Re: Prefer to do it on top or on bottom?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prefer to do it on top or on bottom?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:41:20 -0700
Hmmm, my experience with removing the overdrive unit from underneath
suggests that you will have to disconnect everything from the engine
anyway (including fuel lines, cables, wiring, temp sender, oil lines,
ground strap, motor mounts, exhaust headpipe, heater hoses, rad hoses,
possibly radiator and diaphragm) in order to tilt the engine and run it
forward and up several inches. This requires a jack supporting the
engine. You will also want one supporting the transmission. I don't think
18 inches is enough to get the bellhousing clear, take a look at it. Why
not just pull the engine and leave the transmission in place? The worst
part of the whole job, according to many (myself included), is the
transmission mount bolts at the crossmember. Although I personally would
pull the engine and transmission as a unit. That gives you the best
access to check and renew the pilot bushing and rear seal, and to clean
and inspect everything thoroughly. It may also be easier to realign the
ouput shaft with clear access to both components -- this can sometimes be
slick as a whistle or turn into a major hassle. IMHO, YMMV...

James Porco had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149