More info about underneath clutch replacement

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More info about underneath clutch replacement
From: James Porco <jporco@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:33:47 -0400 (EDT)
It seems most prefer over the top rather than underneath.
To add more information, here is the process I was told.

Again, I think the idea is intriguing, but if it is not possible or just not
safe I'll do it via the engine removal.

The Process:
You need to screw off the propeller shaft at the Trans end, then take the
propeller shaft out. You unbolt the crossmember holding the Trans. Unbolt the
Trans from the engine, unbolt the section at the top of the Trans, then turn
about one quarter - removing the Trans fluid before this step. This will allow
you to slide the Trans back about 8-10 inches resting on the second crossbember
under the front seats - the one that is welded, not bolted. Also unbolt the
clutch slave cylinder before moving or turning the Trans.

I have been under my car and if I can get the car high enough it looks like it
just might work.  My only concern is the weight of the Trans and the
re-alignment.  This is where multiple hands would be helpful. I was told do not
do this with an overdrive, too many things to unbolt and other major problems
(not an issue for me).

Again, this was offered as an alternative, I'm just curious if this is possible
or if anyone has actually done it this way.  I know there are certain benefits
to taking out the engine, but I just want to replace the clutch plate and get
my car back on the road.

Many thanks

Jim Porco
1971 BGT  (Garaged since last summer)  8-(