Re: Classic Car Insurance

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Classic Car Insurance
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 11:22:38 -0700
Well, even a standard insurance policy may give you a discount for low
annual mileage. Mine, for instance, is set to 7500 miles or less. Since I
work out of my home now, I could probably halve that for additional
savings. If your insurer doesn't, try shopping around.

But the reason the classic policies are able to offer low rates for high
vehicle values is that 1) they expect you as a collector to drive your
classic carefully to preserve your investment; but mainly 2) they don't
expect your classic car to be exposed to the same day-to-day traffic
hazards as a car on a standard policy. If you wish to preserve the option
to do so, I suppose they feel you will have to pay a standard rate based
upon actuarial conventions.

Kristian Chronister had this to say:

--

Max Heim