Re: Model versus Year

To: "Bullwinkle" <yd3@nvc.net>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Model versus Year
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 09:03:31 +0100
K, J2 etc are models just like MGA, MGB are.  The main difference is the
relatively short production runs of the earlier models compared to those of
later models (like 1 year as opposed to 17 years!).  A new model could be a
completely different car e.g. M and SA or a logical development.  The
tooling costs of unitary construction count against frequent changes of body
styling so the 'logical developments' occur to what is ostensibly the same
model, but major changes can be denoted by 'Mark' numbers.  With the MGB
Clausager shows small developments occuring throughout all years.  The first
major change (by quantity) occurs in Dec 67 with the Mk II.  In Nov 68
Clausager mentions "Introduction of 1969 model" (not model year), it's not
until Oct 69 that he says "Start of 1970 model year".  I don't know if this
was a federal requirement but I do believe it was influenced by the American
practice of having (or at least advertising) 'new' models for each year.

PaulH.