Re: Tube shock conversion data

To: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Tube shock conversion data
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 13:10:31 -0700
Thanks again Dave:
Leaving out the cost issue for now, there are primarily two groups of people
who have responded to me on this question.
1. Road drivers.  General consensus is that for the road the lever shocks
are as good or possibly better riding than telescoping shocks. If both are
in good, non leaking shape. (Remember there are list members who will
guarantee non-leaking shocks, right Peter>).
2. Race drivers: General feeling (is there ever really a consensus on a mail
list?) is that tube shocks will give better handling, and thus will give
better performance. Most in this group have agreed that seat of the pants
reasoning is good enuf. One can simply feel "better performance" so no proof
is needed.

I am in the first group, and I agree with most of the emails that have
recommended that I stay with (possibly uprated valves on the) lever arm
shock. They are quite inexpensive, can be easily worked on and they work
very well.

For those in the second group I have a question. If you were to change
camshafts to a more aggressive lift and duration, would you not expect to
see some facts on how much horsepower has increased on previous engine
conversions to the new cam? If I were a racer, the answer would be yes, but
that is me.

I really don't want to beat this to death (have we already??) so I won't
post to the list on this subject anymore. But feel free to contact me off
list if needed.

Thanks to all for the philosophical discussion...
Kind regards..
Tim
'69 MGBGT