Re: Fw: Tube shock conversion data

To: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>,
Subject: Re: Fw: Tube shock conversion data
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2000 14:09:11 -0500
         Having taken a few <g> of these shocks apart, I can maybe help
this discussion. The leaks that befall these Armstrong levers occur at the
shaft where it passes though the seal. The original seal is more of a thick
solid rubber washer, maybe 1/2" thick. It is retained in the shock body by
a tin washer crimped in the body. Pretty low-tech sealing. Not an oil seal
as one would expect (radial lip type). Ever wonder why your owner's manual
suggests topping-up as a regular scheduled maintenance procedure? I would
suggest it is because they expect the shock to leak. These shocks also have
no bearing for the shaft to rotate in beside the cast metal body. We see
cases where the shaft has become pitted from oil/salt/water being packed in
that area. Naturally, when that happens the seal does even less, and the
oil exits even faster. So, a weak seal design allowing the egress of oil
and the ingress of grit to both the bearing surface and beyond seems to me
to be the most limiting feature of these shocks.
         As far as side forces, besides crashing the car, there doesn't
seem to be much evidence of the kind of wear I would expect with side
forces. There isn't much in the way of thrust washers or surfaces.
         A few other thoughts on the non-technical side.  Certainly cost is
a primary reason for tube shocks. Much cheaper to make. Much cheaper to
make the variations from one make to another. Macpherson struts have those
positives as well as they are supplied more easily in subassemblies with
engines and transaxles going in as one lump. Tube shocks do leak, and more
often than they are noticed. BTW, early 60's Ford Anglias had MacPherson
struts on the front and good ol' levers on the back.... how's that for
clashing technologies.
         Obviously I am an advocate of lever shocks being in the cars for
which they are designed (I wouldn't add them to my Camry). I know that the
ability exists to overcome the shortcomings of these Armstrong shocks.
         I apologize for being so longwinded I've been writing this while
answering many phones.
         I'd appreciate any feedback.   Peter C.   I gotta go put out a
fire.   Later
----