Blah, blah, blah...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Blah, blah, blah...
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 00:31:30 +1000
Absolutely ages since I wrote to the list! But here I am, finally putting
this MGA motor back together. :) It's sitting here next to my desk on an
engine stand (yeah inside, I'm single I can do what I like see. <G>). Great
to work with MG parts that are clean for a change! hehe. Haven't really
started work on it apart from making sure I can eat off it, installing new
core plugs, and tapping the 4 main oil gallery lines for installation of
threaded plugs instead of the std tapered brass plugs. Anyone wishing to
give advice at this stage before I get stuck in, please feel free, this is
my first _complete rebuild.

The motor is being 'improved' in a number of ways. I am fitting a reground
cam, with timing of 35/64 In. 32/72 Ex. Dur. 277. My GCR will be around
9:6-9:7.1 - ECR around 7:5.1 (+060 flat top pistons, MGB head). Spot on (I
hope)  for the cam and the fuel, but can always skim the head a bit more
later if necessary. Will see how I go there. We have a nice new high octane
petrol here so maybe there's room for more comp., we'll see. The cam lift is
287 In/289 Ex. With my 1.6 Roller Rockers, lift at the valve works out
around .442. Quite an increase. The block has been machined with eyebrows to
account for the exhaust valve interference. I'm hoping to get a decent lift
in HP up the rev range from these changes, and along with all the previous
improvements (mod. head, lightweight lifters/cromoly pushrods/custom dist.),
should make for a nice thing to fang around in - woohoo!  I'm also replacing
all the fasteners where possible, new adjustable pulley, lightened flywheel
& new clutch. Whole shebang was balanced end to end. The block was also
found to need minor line boring. Oh, if you forgot WHY I was doing this in
the first place, it was because my Crank split in half (thanks Jo <G> ;) on
a Club run. I found a NOS crank by some small miracle (and a large bank
transaction) so hopefully along with the new crank and the line bored block,
I wont be up for it's THIRD crank in 11 years. :) The last crank was .040 un
der at any rate. If anyone local is interested, machine shop charges came
out around a grand, not incl. parts I supplied. Not bad.

On other stuff, somehow I have to get both this car and my MGB back together
by August (moving to Dublin(!)). Gulp. The A still needs her floors
installing, sealing, drilling out etc (in reverse order of course <G>), not
to mention the carpet installed. The BGT is in more pieces than I care to
contemplate - anyone feel like a working bee at my place?? <G> ;) Better
news is that my 100 and CGT are now sitting on the docks in Oakland waiting
to head across the Pacific to Sydney, and _finally to me!!! It's been nearly
two years since I bought the 100, so it will be fantastic to finally get my
hands on it. I'm really looking forward to driving the C to see how she
goes, as my only experience of MG's has been four bangers - with the single
exception of the RV8 (drool) I drove a month or so ago. All the cars will be
relocated to Brisbane for storage with the olds before I exit Aussie stage
left. Any Irish listers who want to fill me in on the MG scene over there
please let me know! I'm also heading to the US for a Holiday mid August, so
will have to try and meet up with as many of you as possible. Would love to
rent a restored MG, but seems that it will be some other type of convertible
unless anyone knows people who offer such a service in SF -? Will be flying
into SFO first, spending 2 weeks driving around California, Nevada etc, then
off to LA (love New Orleans) and then to NYC. Depending on how much time I
have, will probably try to get to a few other places as well.
Recommendations would be great! :)

Have a good one.

Cheers,
Neil