Lubricants, was Fluid for Lever Shocks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lubricants, was Fluid for Lever Shocks
From: eugeneb@nni.com
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 13:39:23 -500
Stuff deleted.
   > snip <

RE: Hypoid oil. As part of the spring tune-up, I
want to drain and refill the differential.  With
the help of others on the list, I understand that
I need hypoid oil. I have been unable to find
straight 90w as recommended in my owners manual.
I have found 85W90 (StaLube) and 80W90 Castrol.
My question is that the 85W90 has a service rating
of 4 and the 80W90 carries a 5+.  Does it really matter
which one I use ?  Should I continue the search for
straight 90w ?  Also, some of these are formulated for
limited-slip differentials.  I presume that I should stay
away from those, and I am not even going to ask about the
synthetic oils  ; - )  Any comments on StaLube vs. Castrol ?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Gene Balinski  80 B