Re: zero sum game ??? noises

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: zero sum game ??? noises
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 19:10:24 -0500
At 11:01 AM 6/17/2000 -0400, Bill Saidel wrote:
>.... new sounds are cropping up. Some sound ominous. ....
>
>1. The CLUNK. Occurance...shifting gear, going on the fly from engaged
clutch to disengaged to [CLUNK]  reengaged. This is probably not a u-joint
as I replaced both u-joints last fall.  It also seems to be coming
distinctly from the right rear. ....

Wire wheels?  Check the wheel hub splines first, then the backlash at the
differential input shaft.  Also tighten the big u-bolts securing the rear
axle to the leaf springs.

>2. .... Started engine to return home and almost immediately, it sounded
like something was spinning in the tranny. It created a whine, a whistle,
almost fanlike in its constancy but it was not a fan. It did not seem to
interfere with the operation of the tranny on the drive home.  Thirty
minutes later I took it out to listen again and it was gone.  No dash
lights went on that shouldn't have.

Possibly the starter pinion stuck in the ring gear for a bit after
starting.  If you have the clutch down the clutch disk can make a nasty
screaming resonance noise if the spigot bushing is loose or if the disk is
loose on the splines.  I would not call this a whine, whistle or fan noise,
much louder and more aggrevating.

Just guessing of course, but BTDT.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA wiith an attitude