zero sum game ??? noises

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: zero sum game ??? noises
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 11:01:53 -0400 (EDT)
Learned bretheren,
   There is a part of game theory called the zero sum game. Colloquially,
it boils down to "Win some, Lose some".
   Now that my replacement carb is fine, passed inspection, and I test
traveled my 76B a few hundred mostly carefree miles, new sounds are
cropping up. Some sound ominous.  When you have time, might some of you
experienced souls speculate?

1. The CLUNK. Occurance...shifting gear, going on the fly from engaged
clutch to disengaged to [CLUNK]  reengaged. This is probably not a u-joint
as I replaced both u-joints last fall.
   It also seems to be coming distinctly from the right rear.
This one has been present in some form since I first took possession of
the car (May, '98). It seems a bit louder now (but then, I've had the
battery cover off for one reason or another).

2. This one freaked me a bit. First occurance and so far, only occurance.
I drove to the local Blockbuster to pick up a flick and all was fine sans
Clunk of previous paragraph.
   Started engine to return home and almost immediately, it sounded like
something was spinning in the tranny. It created a whine, a whistle,
almost fanlike in its constancy but it was not a fan. It did not seem to
interfere with the operation of the tranny on the drive home.  Thirty
minutes later I took it out to listen again and it was gone.  No dash
lights went on that shouldn't have.

        Could I have been fooled into thinking it was the transmission
but it was really related to the starter motor? Of course I could
theoretically, but I lack the experience to accurately evaluate this new
noise.  Seems to me I'd be better off if this noise signals the beginning
of starter motor failure than tranny failure.

As always, TIA,

Bill Saidel
Dept. of Biology
Rutgers University