Re: Clear fuel line

To: mkart@erols.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clear fuel line
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:16:17 -0400
Let me echo Art's note. Tygon (a brand name) tubing is oft used for all
kinds of bizarre chemicals in
the research establishment. "Handles virtually all inorganic laboratory
chemicals."

It comes in wall thicknesses ranging from 1/32' (0.8mm) to 1/8 (3.2mm),
IDs, ranging from
1/32 (0.8mm) to 1 (25mm). with commensurate wall.
It is pricey for 5 feet. For example, a  50' length (15.2m) of a
1/4"(6.4mm) ID, wall of 1/8"(3.2mm)
is $102.40 from the catalog (Fisher Scientific). That is only a tad over
$2/ft which is not bad
but one can only buy it in specified lengths like 50' (at least
from  Fisher or any other scientific supply house, eg., VWR).

Nalgene makes a braided clear tubing (Nalgene 980-looks nice) that "Meets
FDA regulations for food use. Also excellent for use with weak acids, weak
bases, and salt solutions." This stuff is rated by nominal working pressure
as well as ID, wall thickness, etc. It is also not an inexpensive product
for the same reason: minimum length purchased is 50' (15.2m). Example.
1/4"ID, 3/32" wall, nominal working pressure 250 psig, $102.95.  Again a
tad over $2/ft but...

Nalgene makes other formulations: formulation
890 Teflon FEP tubing "Highly chemical and temperature resistant"
550 Platinum-cured (for high purity!) silicone tubing
560 Platinum-cured & internally braided silicone tubing (Looks nice)
180 PVC Vacuum tubing (very pricey!)

etc.
Now all we need are i) detailed information on which are fuel resistant and
ii) a trial supply

Regards,

Bill
'76B