Was 18GD WE H 22011 originally an MGB engine?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Was 18GD WE H 22011 originally an MGB engine?
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@iname.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 21:09:18 -0600 (MDT)
I am not sure my 18GD engine was originally an MGB engine.  I can't
find any reference to the 18G -D- engines being used in Bs in the Moss
catalog.  It goes from the 18GB in '67 to the 18GF in '68.

It was in my '70 B when I got the car, but Moss says the engine should
have been an 18GH ( It has since died and I will be rebuilding it, but
I want to know its origin.)  The D letter looks like it was stamped
after the rest of the tag, as it is slightly lower then the G and
further to the right than I would expect it.

This engine also has a hole in the back plate to aid the removal of an
automatic transmission.  It also does not have the hole for a
mechanical fuel pump.

Anyone know if this was fitted into a B when it started it's life?

Thanks!

Andrew Lundgren
Lundgren@iname.com
http://www.itwest.net/~lundgren