Update: Overdrive woes

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update: Overdrive woes
From: "delling3" <delling3@home.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:03:52 -0400
Thanks for all the response so far.  I took the B on a longish drive this
evening to try to better qualify what is happening.

First, it appears that the problem is temperature related - not road or
engine speed related.  This evening was a mild night - about 70 degrees.  I
drove the car for about 10 miles, with the tranny in 3rd O.D.  Engine speeds
were 3000 - 3500 (road speed about 50-55) , with a couple of stops along the
way.  Engine temperature fully up into the normal range.  No problems.

I continued along, increased road speed to 65-70 in O.D. 4th.  Same engine
speeds.  After a few more miles, the O.D. began to slip in and out
intermittantly, with increasing frequency.  Variations in road speed, and
between 3rd and 4th O.D. resulted in no change.

I switched the O.D. out, and drove several more miles at lower road speeds.
It seemed that as the transmission/O.D. began to cool down, when I switched
the O.D. in again, the problem did not reappear immediately, but rather took
several moments/minutes before the unit starts acting up again.

After the drive, I would have to say that this phenomenon is seems to
emulate the feel of a slipping clutch, although it is not load dependant.
For whatever reason, it does not "feel" like a wiring problem, which I would
expect to be more abrupt in behavior.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks again,

Chris