Re: Originality-Reply

To: "Alan" <Alan@health.co.zw>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Originality-Reply
From: "Scotty" <scotty@dove.net.au>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 16:47:22 +0930
On Friday, June 23, 2000 Alan wrote.

> Should MGs be kept as near as possible to the manufacturers
> specification or is deviation from standard permitted in the interest
> of improved performance and/or reliability?

Alan, when you go for performance modifications, at a certain point,
reliability begins to deteriorate as performance modifications increase,
however, you didn't mention 'Safety'. IMHO that is a big factor in any
modification to a road going car. YMMV.

> the very  heavy pedal pressure required to stop the vehicle (no servo)

The brake servo was an option on single line system 'B's' in 1970 and
standard from 1973? so no problem with a retro fitting of a servo in your
case with a '71.

>and the pathetic push button windscreen washer.

This is a safety issue I reckon, and if you fit a period switch in the push
button hole, to operate an electric washer, it would be a great improvement
on the original system. BTDT.

It's your car, enjoy it, if you do modify it for your use be sure to let a
prospective buyer know what modifications have been done so they can make an
informed decision about the purchase of the car, you can't do more than
that!

Scotty,

Adelaide, Australia.
' 79MGB-LE,  ex Santa Rosa Cal, Daily driver, converted to right hand drive,
English dash,  Automatic tranny [from a wrecked 'B']  Australian specs
engine and seats.  [Phew--does that make me a hot rodder?]
It works for me.  8^)