Re: Originality

To: Alan@health.co.zw (Alan), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:56:02 -0400
If you're entering the car in competition where the actual originality of
the car is taken into consideration, then you have some obvious restrictions.

That aside, which I don't think is the case here, it's your car to change.

Personally, I like the sculpted look of the car (I have a 78B), and the
fact that mine is a convertible, and I personally wouldn't do anything to
it that would cause it not to be recognized as an MG from the looks, but as
far as the innards go, I don't have any particular love for points, or for
bad heaters, or other such things.  I have electronic ignition, and frankly
I'd be happy to put in fuel injection if it was easy.  I have the original
vinyl seats, but I plan to replace them with leather as soon as I get the
time.  I also plan to probably replace the steering wheel and maybe line
the dash.  I have a CD player in mine.

I like the charm of the triple wipers, and the headlights, and so forth,
but if someone wanted to put fog lamps on them, I could certainly
understand, and would do so myself if I lived in a foggy area.

In short, on MY car, I would go as far as anything to improve comfort or
performance without detracting from the look of the car.  On YOUR car,
since you own it, and if you're not entering it into originality judging,
you can do whatever you want.  You could paint it hot flourescent pink if
you want.  You might have trouble re-selling it if you did, but that'd be
your problem.

There's also enough of them out there that you could experiment if so
inclined.  What if you made a GT convertible?  Generally there aren't any
rules if you're not in competition.  I think most people prefer to keep the
general lines and look of the car, but feel that most anything else is up
for grabs...

Just my 2 cents worth...

- Tab