Re: Front susp rebuild update

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Front susp rebuild update
From: "David Hill" <Davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:28:54 +0100
Hi, Craig.

Just finished this job on my '72 GT. I got hold of a good, used set of
A-arms at an autojumble (the oval hole syndrome is very common). Put in V8
bushes, rebuilt shocks and every rubber and bolt has been changed, along
with the springs, which were deeply goosed. I also ground and cross-drilled
the fulcrum bushes, so the bolts get greased as well as the fulcrum bushes.

Problems:
I removed the X-member to blast clean it. Above the member, there were rot
holes in the rails, between the two mounting studs, r.h was the worst. Also,
there were holes in the rails where the a/r bar bushes rest against the
undersides of them. You can see the rails with the X-member in place so it's
worth levering in the gap between the studs to check the rails are sound.
You need to undo four bolts to look at the roll bar mount areas.

I found a figure of 40 lb/ft. for the shock mounting bolts. This caused one
of the spring washers to self-destruct, making me think that the thread in
the X-member had stripped-scary. 30 lb/ft is quite enough, in my view.

Couldn't get the top links into the shock eyes so I removed the pinch bolt
on the shock arm and wriggled the arm off completely. Then, I could use the
centre bolt to pull the arms back together, with a thin drift keeping the
outer bushes in place between the arms. Worked for me!

Brake bleeding turned out to be a long process. I'd rebuilt the front
calipers but most of the air came out via the rear bleed points. The only
solution was to bleed the system, go away for about an hour to let the air
separate, then bleed it again and again. Took about 2 litres but the pedal's
perfect now.

In the final analysis, this job was worthwhile. The car now goes where *I*
want it to go and all the clatters and bamgs form the front end are gone.

Good Luck,

Dave H.