Rover woes and new Rover News

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: Rover woes and new Rover News
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:10:00 -0400
>  - TVR and Marcos don't sell cars in the US. At this low level of
> production, they can't afford to meet US requirements. Morgan can only
> because they never change their design. We don't want a new MG at this
> level of production, because we will never get to see one.

Well I wouldn't say that... TVR is building a factory in Brazil at the
moment (and they already have a factory in the Far East to service that
region of the globe).  I argued with the TVR guys about this, and I couldn't
think of any reason to have a factory in this hemisphere unless you were
going to sell cars in North America.  Some TVR guys also were spreading news
of a USA version of the current Tuscan (which since it's a new design, could
have been designed to meet USA standards)... but it will be expensive.

Now for the new news...

Rover will release an MG badged version of the Rover 75 in about a year...
and the 25 and 45 models to follow.  As I had posted earlier in June, Rover
already has a prototype estate version of the 75 which looks terrific.  Will
we see an MG station wagon too?  ;-)  This news bit came from Pistonheads,
who has been dead on through most of this...

I'd imagine that the MG badged cars would be the 'sport tuned' versions.

Personally I feel towers is on the right track, especially with that estate
version... as I can't recall SUVs being that popular in europe the last time
I visited (last summer), and I saw Audi/BMW/Mercedes wagons everywhere...
and hordes of Ford Mondeo wagons also.

We'll just have to wait a while I guess... even if this supercar is an
inside hoax, they're getting valuable press coverage now (keeping the name
in the news).

Kai

P.S.: Yes I think this will be my last post within this thread also...