Re: Fuel pump - ultimate solution

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel pump - ultimate solution
From: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 21:24:15 -0400
Jim said:

>First a word about the solid state SU pump from BV- my first one has
>over 80,000 miles on it & is still going strong. The one I bought a year
>ago for my other MG lasted only about 6 months, so quality control of
>components in recent times seems to be a problem.
>
>Ultimate solution is to add a second fuel pump in line, such as the
>noisy square lump (Fascut, Purolator, etc). This bolts easily to the
>battery cage, more or less in line with the fuel pipe routing. I added a
>on/off/on switch out of sight under the dash & ran a second wire to the
>new pump. When my new solid state pump started to crapp out on me,
>throwing the switch was a lifesaver (literally @ 70 mph in heavy
>traffic). Now that the solid state has been replaced with a stock points
>unit, I still feel more comfortable knowing I have a back up.
>
>In the center position, the on/off/on switch is also a theft deterrent,
>as a joy rider would only get about 1/4 mile before running out of gas.

How would this work on a spridget?  Meaning, where would you put the pump?)
If the points fail, how easy is it for the auxiliary pump to suck fuel
through the SU pump?  (I don't think it would work all that well, since
there is nothing to keep the pump diaphragm open.)  Seems to me that such a
setup might work better in parallel, instead of in series.

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite